Wednesday, March 23, 2011

023 - Two post in one day?!?!

Well this will be a shorter-ish post...as I updated not too long ago (sunday I believe).

Monday, I had my first "on-site" class for Art of the Roman world. Granted it did require me waking up slightly earlier than normal to get my butt downtown, a few of us got coffee and cornetti on the way. Our class met at the Vittorio Emanuele II monument; and for those who don't know, the Romans generally hate this building. It is VERY white, and looks like a wedding cake (or typewriter, depending on who you ask). Our professor has to be the most knowledgeable person about ancient Roman art, so it was a pretty awesome lecture. We were taken all around the outside of the Roman Forum and near the Colosseum. So really, I couldn't have asked for a better Monday, no case of the Monday's for this guy. AND my evening class was cancelled, so it was a REALLY good monday.

As for Tuesday, the weather became really nice. We are talking 65 and sunny, maybe a few clouds. So most of us spend the better part of the afternoon out in the courtyard basking in the sun, and maybe doing a little homework.

Wednesday (today), was more of the same. Nice weather, not a lot of homework. And just a generally good day. PLUS it was calcio night!! After the past two weeks being rained out, and one week break because of vacation, we FINALLY got back out on the field nearly a month later. Team Green was back in action, taking on winless Pink. I decided to try a new tactic, instead of wearing out team shirts, I donned my "Buffon" goalie jersey I had purchased a few weeks back. Evidently it worked, as Pink only managed 3 or 4 shots in the first half. The scoring came quite easy for us, 5-0 at the half. However Pink came out with new life in the second half. After two "lucky" goals...they had narrowed the gap. But my squad got it back together and scored a few more times before the time was up. Pink's keeper (SLA Will) managed a last second half field (the field is small) goal. In my defense, the time keeper had just yelled 30 seconds left and I was standing a good 15 feet in front of the goal, in NO position to make a save. Oh well, gotta let them have those goals, make them feel good. In the end, we walked away with an 8-4 win, improving to 3-1 with three weeks to go before playoffs. We have a date with undefeated Lime in 2 weeks. I am half hoping they stay undefeated for when we play them, I love playing spoiler. Other good news, no severe bruises. Did get a little rug burn on my knees from the turf, but eh, that's expected from a goalie. I gotta say I love that they have calcio here. First off it's a huge sport in Italy and secondly I love sports so as I've been saying, its something to look forward to in the middle of each week.

Well I hope you enjoyed reading this post as much as I enjoyed writing it. I gotta say I could be a sports writer or something, as you can see I enjoy giving much detail about calcio. And even though you may not have any idea of what I am talking about, I'm still going to write about it...it's fun, gives me an outlet for stress and whatnot.

Anywho, get to see my parents and other family tomorrow!! Spending a nice long weekend with them in Rome, and also I will be heading to Tivoli on saturday for a cooking instructional. It's gunna be a good weekend, I know it.

No comments:

Post a Comment