Thursday, February 10, 2011

014 - Let's get ready to CALCIO!

Let's see when did I post last? Oh right it was a few days ago about my trip to Paris. Well because of that I've decided to stay around Rome this weekend. Probably going to explore and what not. I want to stop by the famous sunday flea market in Trastevere. I need to pick me up some discounted soccer jerseys.

This week was pretty uneventful school work wise. For my one class Art of the Roman world we are studying some pretty interesting Etruscan pieces (of which, I saw a number of them at the Louvre). The reading for class isn't bad, mainly because every other page is a huge picture. And I've just realized now I haven't written about my classes at all on here. So here we go. I'm also taking a Roman Catholicism course, a Global-political Science class, and ITAL 102. I was taking Intro to Acting, I figured it could help with my improv. But I dropped it for a few reasons. First it wasn't what I expected, I don't like acting. Which you may be saying "wait, isn't improv acting?" Well yes and no. In improv you change characters and whatnot so quickly and its fast paced, its really nothing like stage acting. I also dropped because I was taking two art core classes and I only need one, AND the provost lowered the graduation credits from 128 to 120. Meaning I don't have to take 15 creds, I can take 12 and still be on track.

Enough of the boring stuff, you don't want to read about my classes, most of you are taking classes, you know the drill.

On a fun and exiting note. Intramural calcio started on Wednesday (yesterday). For you Americans reading, calcio is soccer. (History note: When Mussolini was in power he outlawed foreign words thats why its not even called "futbol") My team, Team Green (aka Gang Green) played in the second slew of games, so we got to watch some other teams first, and see what they were doing right and wrong. When it came our time to play we developed a basic strategy, nothing fancy, a simple 2-1-2 plus goalie. I was selected as keeper based on my past experience. We got off to a HOT start scoring two goals in the first 3 minutes of play. We cooled off a little from there and finished of an intense game with a win, 6 to 0. That's right, you are reading the blog of a guy who pitched a shutout (I'm not modest or anything). Team Yellow played ok, and it was only the first week so teams don't have a lot of chemistry yet. I'm excited about our team and really like our chances coming down the stretch. That is, if my body can handle it. In order to preserve the shutout, I was going all out. And we play on a field that is basically carpet over concrete. Banged up my knees pretty good. Have a huge bruise on my left one, I have a pic up on facebook. Team (Forest) Green received Team of the Night honors and all the teams went out for pizza and beer (a tradition after each game I am told). Overall it was a great night, I am going to look forward to every wednesday night.

Yesterday was also the first day I did not feel any homesickness of any kind. I kind of realized just how fast this semester is going. I mean, already a month in. Spring break is right around the corner. Speaking of that, I paid the rest of the Greece trip, yikes its a good chunk of change. But I received 250 euros from the Forza Scholarship fund. So thanks alumni for that!

Well, I'm looking for a relaxing weekend. Stay classy America.

No comments:

Post a Comment